Position: Swim Instructor
Status: Part-Time (Non-Exempt); $20/hour
Supervisor: Aquatics Manager
A primary responsibility of all jobs at the Springfield JCC is to ensure that each and every member, guest, and visitor has a positive experience and leaves the JCC feeling better than when they arrived. This role requires in-depth knowledge of swimming strokes, stroke development, and water safety techniques. The Swim Instructor needs to have excellent customer service skills and be able to communicate effectively with swim participants, families, and staff members alike. Being organized, timely, and reliable are necessary skills that the Swim Instructor should possess in order to provide high quality lessons each and every day. With a passion for aquatics and teaching, this successful candidate will demonstrate patience and enthusiasm and be able to motivate students to accomplish their swimming goals.
- Be available to teach a wide variety of swim lessons/aquatics offerings, including but not limited to:
- Swim for Tots (Ages 6 months - 2.9 years old)
- Youth group swimming lessons (Ages 3 -12 years old)
- Lessons for Summer Camp, KidSpace (after-school program), and Preschool
- Adult group lessons
- Private/semi-private swim lessons for participants of all ages
- Provide high quality swim lessons using recognized, effective, and relevant skills and techniques within the Aquatics industry.
- Assess each swim participant’s performance in each lesson and provide feedback.
- Take attendance at the beginning of each lesson.
- Provide certificates/written communication at the end of each group lesson session about the participant’s progress and which level class they will qualify for moving forward.
- Provide back-up support and fill-in where needed in the absence of the regularly scheduled instructor.
- Effectively communicate the new skills that are learned at the end of each lesson to families and swim lesson participants.
- Effectively communicate the expectations and goals of each class level to families, swim lesson participants, and instructors.
- Communicate effectively with swim students and ensure that all water safety rules are adhered to.
- Monitor students continuously to prevent accidents and injuries.
- Implement ground rules for swimmers and their family members for all sessions.
- Maintain and organize all swim lesson equipment.
- Develop meaningful relationships with members, staff, and the general public and use excellent customer service and communication skills to maintain those relationships.
- All other duties as assigned.
- Reliable, professional and passionate for aquatics
- Be able to motivate people of all different backgrounds and provide constructive feedback on their progress.
- Proven knowledge of each swimming stroke and the mechanics involved with teaching each stroke.
- A positive attitude with the ability to work alone, with the Aquatics staff, and with the Health and Wellness staff.
- Proven track record of providing high quality swim lesson services to a wide variety of populations.
- Must have current CPR, First Aid and AED certifications for both infant/child and adult.
- Current swim lesson certification from an organization recognized in the swim lesson space.